Legal Recruiting Manager
Full Job Description
Thompson Coburn, a large full-service law firm with offices in seven (7) cities across the U.S., is in search of a Legal Recruiting Manager to fill a full-time exempt position in its Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis, or Washington, D.C. office. With over 400 attorneys and experience in 50 areas of law, Thompson Coburn is regularly recognized for its commitment to diversity and for providing clients with outstanding value and service. If you are an experienced talent acquisition [or recruiting] professional seeking a highly visible position in an energizing environment, then this might be an exciting opportunity for you.
The Legal Recruiting Manager will manage recruiting operations for associate and counsel attorneys firmwide. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of five (5) years of recruiting experience and a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Knowledge of attorney recruiting processes, specifically related to summer law student programs, preferred. Prior experience utilizing viGlobal recruiting platform is preferred. The person selected for this position must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. This position is eligible for a hybrid-remote work schedule.
- Manages and administers the summer law student program in all offices. Activities include but are not limited to; organizing on-campus recruiting initiatives; developing and fostering relationships with key law schools and their career services personnel; reviewing candidate resumes; managing the on-campus interview (“OCI”) process; and planning, coordinating, and attending law student program events throughout the year (including substantive and social events during the summer program).
- Collaborates with, facilitates meetings for, and presents information to the Employment Committee as needed.
- Manages and administers the recruitment of lateral associate and counsel attorneys. Activities include but are not limited to; collaborating with CLTO and practice group leaders to determine hiring needs and best ways to source candidates; reviewing candidate resumes; coordinating candidate interview schedules; engaging search firms when necessary; corresponding with candidates throughout the recruitment and hiring process; ensuring required documentation is obtained; overseeing candidate diligence process with internal stakeholders; and drafting offer letters.
- Regularly reviews recruitment and hiring processes and recommends modifications that result in better efficiencies.
- Responsible for the overall functioning and maintenance of data in the Firm’s legal recruiting software program in support of the attorney recruiting process to include producing appropriate weekly, monthly and ad hoc reports, providing technical support and training to other users of the system, and serving as a main point of contact to the vendor for the department.
- Monitors the attorney recruiting budget, approving recruiting-related expenses and paying invoices for same.
- Coordinates content for law student recruiting and lateral attorney recruiting external web site and ensures site remains current.
- In conjunction with the Training Department, coordinates arrangements and orientation for Summer and Fall Associates.
- In conjunction with the Marketing Department, develops marketing materials and gifts for law student recruiting as necessary.
- Maintains knowledge of industry best practices impacting compliance, policy, and the recruitment and retention of attorneys by establishing contacts in the legal industry (e.g., professional associations and educational groups, and professional development efforts).
- Collects recruiting data and responds to surveys from the American Lawyer, NALP, and other organizations.
- Assists Chief Legal Talent Officer with special projects.
- Requires ability to use tact and diplomacy when interacting with others, and ability to communicate professionally with attorneys, candidates, department members, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Must have ability to read, write and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
- Must possess attention to detail and ability to respond to or follow through on specific requests or assignments with detail, clarity and accuracy;
- Must demonstrate ability to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and have strong time management and work prioritization skills.
- Must have ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Forms, Excel and Outlook is required; strong aptitude for learning new technologies is expected.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- This is a full-time position which requires working in the office a minimum of 40 hours per week on a regular basis. During heavy recruiting periods and in preparation of OCI, it includes working outside of normal business hours to ensure completion of position requirements.
- The physical demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. These include being both mobile and stationary throughout the work day, having the ability to transport 20 pounds and being able to operate a computer and other business equipment found in the office.
Thompson Coburn LLP is a large, full service, multi-state firm with offices in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, St. Louis, Southern Illinois, and Washington D.C. At Thompson Coburn, our behavior and the expectations we have of ourselves are guided by the values that we hold in the highest regard: integrity, a passion for excellence, a focus on serving the client, a value of diversity, innovation, creativity, trust, and loyalty. Within the Firm, we value each other as people and colleagues. In addition to the exceptional working environment and a competitive salary, Thompson Coburn provides the following benefit options to qualifying employees:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance & ADD policies
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401(k) Profit Sharing plans
- Parking/Transportation Stipend
- Section 125 Plan (Pre-tax premiums, dependent care and medical reimbursement)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation Time
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Wellness Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Savings Plan Deductions (529 Plans)
- Long Term Care
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Health insurance
Your application has been successfully submitted.