Director, Talent Acquisition
Full Job Description
NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
NRDC’s HR team develops leading people solutions, fosters a values-driven culture, and serves as a strategic partner to further the organization’s mission. We are seeking a Director of Talent Acquisition to work within the Human Resources team. The position can be based in our New York, DC, or Chicago office.
NRDC is looking for an experienced, motivated, and proactive Director of Talent Acquisition who is adept at leading all phases of recruitment and hiring within Human Resources. Leadership focus areas include: managing and developing a small in-house recruitment team; improving recruitment and hiring policies and procedures; optimizing the applicant tracking system to increase efficiency in processes and reporting; infusing innovative and proactive diversity, equity and inclusion strategies and tactics into all practices to increase DEI in hiring; leveraging and analyzing data to inform and improve recruiting and hiring; partnering with executives and hiring managers to serve as a talent acquisition strategic partner and resource; ensuring that complex recruitment and hiring matters are addressed in a consistent, supportive, and legally sound manner; sourcing highly-sought after, passive candidates for niche roles; and leading NRDC’s relationship with a recruitment outsourcing provider to help NRDC manage an influx of ~150 open and new positions over the next 9-12 months. This strategic leader will work to establish TA as a key partner for our teams, helping support our mission critical work.
Lead and manage all aspects of NRDC’s recruiting and hiring, including:
- Evaluate, implement, and improve organization-wide recruitment and hiring policies and practices to streamline and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of NRDC’s branding, job postings, publicizing and outreach, applicant tracking, selection and hiring. Create consistency in guidelines and templates for postings, resume review, phone screens, panel interviews, candidate competency exercises, salary determinations, and offers
- Manage, train and mentor in-house recruiters, ensuring that NRDC’s hiring objectives are fulfilled and a positive recruitment experience for both hiring managers and candidates is cultivated.
- Oversee and manage all third-party relationships for talent acquisition, including recruitment outsourced providers, external placement agencies, temporary agencies, executive search firms and background check vendor to ensure highest levels of service and performance
- Plan and direct all executive searches, working with external partners and to meet CEO and Board expectations
- Lead and implement sound practices to expand NRDC’s sourcing avenues and outreach capabilities to build diverse applicant pools, especially for niche roles which fuel NRDC’s mission
- Drive effective recruitment compliance including training and implementing a document retention processes
- Build new talent pipelines and enhance university relations
- Collaborate with NRDC’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to ensure that NRDC’s recruitment and selection guidelines and practices are inclusive, and that hiring managers are trained, supported, and held accountable in related efforts
- Leverage deep subject-matter expertise of applicant tracking systems to improve related business processes, reporting, and integration with other systems and functions
- Advise and support senior management on recruitment and hiring initiatives, particularly regarding executive recruitment and overall talent acquisition strategy and goals
- Identify and build partnerships with universities to create diverse pipelines of talent for NRDC internships, fellowships, and other roles
- Measure and improve talent acquisition objectives such as reducing time-to-fill, increasing quality of hires, and improving satisfaction levels among hiring managers
- Maintain current knowledge of recruitment and hiring issues, trends, and technologies, and ensure compliance with labor laws relevant to recruitment and hiring
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 8 years of HR work experience with substantial experience in recruitment and hiring
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing and developing direct reports
- Experience managing external agencies to ensure high level of service and performance
- Proven experience in improving talent acquisition strategies, policies, and procedures
- Experience infusing robust diversity, equity, and inclusion practices into talent acquisition processes
- Deep experience with, and knowledge of, applicant tracking systems and business processes
- Experience creating and leveraging data and reporting to inform goals and support initiatives
- Strong leadership and management skills appropriate for a dynamic and evolving environment
- Excellent organizational, communications and interpersonal skills as well as exemplary customer service skills
- Superior problem-solving skills, and leveraging data to inform, influence and drive to decisions
- An unwavering commitment to high-quality work, prioritization, and leveraging people, tools, and technology to drive results
- A strategic thinker skilled at translating strategy into tactical goals and objectives
- Excellent problem-solving ability and solutions orientation, with the ability to multi-task, manage competing priorities, and execute on objectives
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) preferred
- Certified Diversity and Inclusion Recruiter (CDR) preferred
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. For this position, the salary is $144,000 to $165,000. Internal equity considerations will be reviewed before making a final offer.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.