Personnel Technician, Human Resources Talent Acquisition and Assignment
Full Job Description
Job Class: 1203, Personnel Technician
Salary Range: $32.14-$39.07/hourly
Appointment Type: Permanent Exempt (what does this mean?)
Hours: Full Time
Who We Are
The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is the seventh largest school district in California, serving more than 54,000 students who speak more than 44 documented languages across 136 schools in the city of San Francisco every year. We aim for every student who attends SFUSD schools to discover his or her spark, along with a strong sense of self and purpose, and that all students graduate from high school ready for college and career, and equipped with the skills, capacities and dispositions outlined in SFUSD’s Graduate Profile. Every day in our quest to achieve this mission we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
What It Means to Work Here
The SFUSD community is unified by our Core Values:
- Student-centered: We put students’ needs first
- Fearless: We persist through challenges
- United: We celebrate and build on each other’s strengths
- Social Justice: We stand with those most vulnerable in our community
- Diversity-driven: We respect and seek to understand each person
We are also inspired by Vision 2025, which captures our aspirations and vision for the future of public education in San Francisco. Alongside the District’s strategic plan, Transform Learning. Transform Lives. SFUSD is reimagining how public education will change over the next decade to meet the dynamic future of San Francisco. As a CORE district, SFUSD is also a leader in critical systems change for more comprehensive school accountability and innovations that help strengthen the instructional core, which is the foundation of our strategic plan and Vision 2025.
Who We Want
We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission steeped in equity, and who are motivated to unleash our children’s potential. We want people who are strong collaborators, skilled communicators, problem solvers and who are comfortable in a community of continuous learning.
As a Human Capital Technician, you will report to the Director of Certificated & Admin Staffing, and play an integral role in achieving the mission and goals of SFUSD by leading the execution of the development of a high-quality and efficient certificated, admin & sub onboarding process for new hires, and responding to active and passive employee inquiries with superb customer service. This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to have a profound impact on the new employee experience within SFUSD, employee satisfaction, and most importantly student achievement in San Francisco.
We expect our Human Capital Technician to:
- Lead the cross-departmental collaboration to provide an efficient onboarding process for certificated, admin & sub new hires (e.g., fingerprinting, contract signing, new hire paperwork)
- Support the execution of the certificated recruitment and selection program, including
- Helping plan and execute recruitment events to increase awareness of open roles/source candidates
- Creating and disseminating external recruitment advertising and posting on external career websites
- Reviewing applications and conducting candidate screening
- Support Certificated Analysts (1241s) and Senior Analyst (1244) in responding to hiring manager/principal inquiries about certificated & admin onboarding
- Support Certificated Analysts (1241s) and Senior Analyst (1244) in responding to inquiries from current educators & administrators
- Guide certificated, admin & sub new hires through onboarding processes (e.g., fingerprinting, contract signing, new hire paperwork)
- Manage the general email inbox for the certificated & admin staffing team improving customer service standards and increasing responsiveness to general inquiries
- Respond to new hire personnel inquiries (e.g., payroll, employee benefits, leave of absence, etc.) and connect individuals to appropriate HR teams as needed
- Perform technical operations in EmpowerSF - our Employee Information and Applicant Tracking System including posting vacancies and submitting recommendations for hire on behalf of schools sites/department, as needed
- Manage the spreadsheets & calendar for administrator hiring, communicating with LEAD and the admin hiring team to coordinate interview dates and times
- Support the sub team in screening in potential candidates to their hiring pool, as well as helping them complete their onboarding process
The duties specified above are representative of the range of duties assigned and are not intended to be an inclusive list. A strong candidate will also seek out ways to go beyond the job description in order to reach the goals of SFUSD.
- Two (2) years of verifiable experience performing complex technical or clerical duties in a human resources environment; AND ability to type/keyboard 40 words per minute.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Experience with San Francisco public schools or other urban school district(s)
- Experience in a goal-driven professional setting with a strong track record of meeting or exceeding those goals
- Commitment to providing customer service in the face of high stress situations and interactions
- A high degree of cultural awareness and competency in cross-cultural practice
- Superb computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Applications for Educators
- Outstanding organizational and event planning skills
- The ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to identify challenges and proactively work to find solutions
- A flexible, “can do” work ethic with a focus on what can be delivered instead of what cannot be done
- A passionate belief in the mission of SFUSD and commitment to increasing the effectiveness of its teacher workforce in order to increase student achievement
What We Offer
SFUSD offers a competitive hourly rate of $32.14-$39.07 commensurate with experience in a similar position. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan including dental and vision plans, a defined benefit pension plan, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options and vacation time. We also offer an inclusive and equity-centered environment where we encourage staff to bring their whole selves to work.
How to Apply
- If you have previously applied to a job on JobAps, you will be prompted to “select an application to copy;” please select any previous application: you will have the opportunity to update the application and your resume; if you have not previously applied you will be prompted to create a new account
- You will be prompted to electronically attach a letter of interest, resume, list of professional references and any applicable credentials or licenses
- Our Human Resources team will then review your entire application to determine your eligibility status and contact you directly should you move forward in the process
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification from this and future job opportunities with the San Francisco Unified School District.
San Francisco Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. This policy extends to San Francisco County Office of Education, including community school programs and activities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.